How to get a Liquor License

Liquor License Application Consultants


Apply for Liquor License
Action Required  

Appropriate Authority


Business Planning: Outline planning permission, zoning, rights to use, road and public access and parking requirements. Provincial and or Local Authority.
GRADING: Consider grading scheme requirements relative to proposed design (optional) South African National Grading Council
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT: Submission of environmental impact study – if construction or significant renovations required. Provincial Department of Environmental Affairs & Tourism
BUILDING PLANS: Submission of building plans (in terms of National Building legislation and local by-laws) Local Authority
COMPANY REGISTRATION: Register Company. Be aware of changes to registration procedures. CIPC. Companies and Intellectual Properties Commission Registrar of Companies. Pretoria.

LIQUOR LICENSE: Application for a liquor license (if applicable) At least 6 months prior to trading. Provincial Liquor Board /
TRADING LICENSE: Application for a trading business license. (Legal requirement if preparing or serving food) Local Municipality.
BYLAWS: Check and comply with all local by-laws where applicable (they differ from local authority to local authority) Visit local authority / municipality to enquire and verify all requirements
TAXATION: Register for Company Tax, VAT, PAYE, Skills Development SARS – nearest local office
UIF. Register for Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) Department of Labour, Pretoria or nearest local office.
LABOUR: Register for Workmen’s Compensation Compensation. Commissioner Pretoria or nearest Labour office
INSURANCE: Licenses and insurance for company vehicle if required. Licenses and permits for transport of guests/staff if applicable. Local licensing department / insurance broker.
LABOUR LAWS: Comply with labour legislation Hospitality. Sectoral Determination No 14 or Jhb or Pta Bargaining Council dependent on location – Minimum conditions or employment and minimum wage requirements. Register for Workmen’s Compensation
FIRE INSPECTION: Ensure appropriate fire inspection is carried out (if not already done so) and take advise Local Fire Authority
HEALTH INSPECTION: Apply for Certificate of Acceptability for Food Premises. Ensure appropriate health inspection is carried out (if not already done so) and take advise. Local Municipality – Division of Health. Best to obtain when applying for Trading License.
SKILLS DEVELOPMENT: Register under the Skills Development Act if acceptable. Culture Arts, Tourism, Hospitality and Sports sector Education and Training Authority – Sandton //
GRADING: Register with grading scheme if applicable. This is a quality assurance body for tourism products in South Africa. South African National Grading Council
MUSIC: Register with South African Music Rights Organisation (SAMRO) for the provision of piped or live music. (Levy payable to the writer of the music) SAMRO office, Johannesburg
LIVE MUSIC: Register with the South African Music Performance Rights Association (SAMPRA). SAMRO office, Johannesburg

TELEVISION: Apply for television licenses if applicable (before purchasing sets) SABC, Auckland Park
SMOKING: Comply with the Tobacco Products Control Act as it applies to smoking in public places. Department of Health
CONSUMER PROTECTION: Comply with the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act and Regulations – April 2011 Department of Trade & Industries

eLiquor Express Set Up Cost R 260 000

Please study all information on our website before contacting us. We are Liquor License Consultants, and we Charge for Services Requested. (New Liquor License Application Preparation Consultation Fees can Cost between R 18 000, 00 and R 30 000, 00) Please enter your contact details and a short message below and we will try to answer your query as soon as possible.